by Al Benson Jr.
Member, Board of Directors, Confederate Society of America
April is Confederate History Month and we need to proclaim that without hesitation or apology. When leftist thugs howl about the South seceding so she could keep all her slaves we need to start asking them about those slave states that remained part of the Union all the way up until the 13th Amendment was enacted, months after “honest” Abe was dead and gone. Having never learned any real history most of them won’t know anything about that. You will need to remind them–not that it will shut them up–but it might slow them down a bit if someone has an accurate answer to their tomfoolishness.
Ray H. Shores had an informative article in the recent issue of The Southern Defender. He raised some good points both from a Christian and Southern perspective. He talked about duty calling us and wondered if we would answer. He wrote: “Now more than ever before, duty calls us to take a public stand for Liberty, which is more than just freedom. It’s freedom tied to Biblical principles, where the Founders of the United States and Confederate States took a public stand.”
And he continued: “It’s easy to say that we’ll fight when the going really gets rough–when the goons come for the guns, perhaps. But, what if the goons don’t come for the guns? What if they just make it a crime to use them without a permit–a permit that is rarely approved. We would be wise to remember that the Apostle Peter told Jesus he would stand up to the goons when the going got rough. Later, he cried tears of regret because he failed. Anybody can brag about things he or she will do tomorrow, but brave men and women are taking a stand now.” I have often heard people brag that “They will only get my gun when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.” And I have often wondered how many of those that loudly make this brag will be the first to line up and turn their guns in if push ever comes to shove. Bragging and doing ain’t necessarily the same animal.
At any rate,. Ray gave us a list of things most of us can work at doing right now that may help to forestall the enemies of Christian liberty we are all faced with today. I won’t list them all here but I will give you some of them–the ones that jumped out at me as I read them.
- Pray for courage and protection during these times when we confront determined anti-liberty, pro-Communist foes.
- In your front yard, on the tallest flagpoles you can afford, raise one or two flags of liberty…This action will embolden your children, your neighbors, and even yourself. Flags are a rallying point, and the sight of them builds courage and reminds the troops of the reason they are fighting…
- Only support politicians that are active open champions of the ‘Original Intent’ of the U.S. Constitution and States Rights. Stop supporting weaklings, appeasers and con-men.
- Study your Bible and work to repent of real sins instead of sins invented by heretics and Communists, such as the ‘sins” of owning too much property, having too much money, and associating with people of your own choosing. Claim the gender that God gave you at birth. Don’t support the ‘Woke Church’ and churches that adhere to the Communist-created ‘Critical Race Theory’.
- Work to purify your mind through learning, and avoid corrupting influences, such as perverted and Communist-inspired television programs…
- Work to purify the hearts and minds of your children. Try to avoid putting them into the clutches of Marxist-minded teachers or into schools led by conformists and people who fear the news media more than they love truth and liberty.
- Patronize pro-Liberty businesses and websites. Use web browsers, social media and e-mail hosts that are not joined at the hip with the Federal government. Some of the Liberty flags Ray mentioned earlier are The Betsy Ross flag, The Bonnie Blue flag, The Confederate Battle flag, the Confederate First National flag, the Gadsden flag. I did articles about three of these flags awhile back on my https://thecopperhead.blogspot.com site–a site that has been seriously shadow-banned because I refuse to be politically correct. Hopefully this brief article will encourage some of you to take note of and celebrate Confederate History Month.